Thursday 25 September 2008

Waist of the time

Every season the same question - Where's the waist? Fashion editors are telling me to "Bring back the belt!.... this Spring/Summer its narrow, high and perfectly polished". Fashion TV are going with "wide low and super sleek". There's thick and studded, skinny and patent, high on the waist, way below the hip, metallic embellishments and faux skin. Hello complicated.
I figure the safe way out is to just wear one. I'm not sure where to place it exactly, what width it should be or what aesthetic constitutes this season. But from what I hear, we all need to belt up quick smart!  Cinch one high over a blazer or drape some leather low over a maxi gypsy skirt (ps. when did boho come back?). It seems if you're keen to make a major statement this season, add a belt (of any kind) and you'll bring instant fashion cred to any old outfit.

16 people have commented:

Lady Melbourne said...

If this is a picture of your kind self, can you tell us where that divine skirt is from?
I love the look of it, and the belt too!
I wear belts all the time, I have to create a mid section because I don't have one. ha!
LM
x

Francis Girard said...

It is a pic of my own mid section. The skirt is Veronika Main (this season - used in their campaign) and the belt is a vintage find from Paddington in Brisbane (a good 5 years old). Glad you liked the combo LM.

Candice DeVille said...

I bloody hate that Boho thing. My eyes are constantly assaulted at the local mall with every single store touting their inferior quality, Chinese made, floral print tat. And it is bad, very bad. I fear for the future of style when I see the masses flocking for a piece of this Boho - Tea dress look that they think will make them look like Keira Knightly but just makes them look like that sad lady that lives in a box on the corner. (deep breaths..)

pretty said...

A perfect opportunty for you to wear that beautiful belt you bought for your birthday a few months back, no???

I love that picture; the skirt looks like a painting and the rounded edges complement it perfectly. I'm also glad to har that belts are back; I cinched in my dress with a self-made satin obi yesterday - although I don't recollect them being out...

Helen said...

Where your belt is in that pic is where I have had my belt for the last two years- my waist. I keep seeing articles about 'reclaiming your REAL waist' and I think 'well where did it go?'. I don't suit drop waists at all, as much as I admire their 1920's look, and I only wear a high, or empire line waist when I am lazing round the house or on holiday. The rest of the time my waist is the smallest part of my torso :)

Tricia said...

that's a beautiful belt. unfortunately, once i belt I look 10 lbs heavier. hate that.

Justmel and my style said...

Thanks for your comment!
really nice belt!

Q's Daydream said...

That is a wonderful picture! I love belts!!! :o) Always around my waist for sure!

WendyB said...

Sigh....I've never enjoyed belts that much. They make me feel claustrophobic.

Liv Bambola said...

amen. love the belt in the picture too! Can't wait for summer, dresses, skirts and everything feminine :)

Kate Moore said...

Looks just fine to me. You kinda got to dive in haven't you. I am finding some nice ones at op shops and if you ever see Cue gear on sale, check the belts, the seriously slash the prices. They're good quality belts for reasonable prices when they're on sale.

pumps & luiers said...

Wow, perfection: the belt is fabulous, the skirt even better!

Unknown said...

wow that belt is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

1: I love that belt <3

2: I couldn't agree with super Kawaii Mama more: Boho is just awful. I think we should all be doing our part and burning the nearest 'Tree of Life' store to the ground before another wave of wannabe fashionistas give this trend another wave of life.

Xx

Anonymous said...

i really love the print of that skirt.

emily @ fashion156.com/blog

Ingvild Marie said...

cute belt:)

Brisbane rocks